A few years ago getting my husband to eat anything but a savory breakfast would have been impossible. But fast forward to today and he is loving an occasional sweet breakfast too. It started with the gateway drug of the Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Waffle Mix. (My husband is not GF, but he can’t eat white flour which has really kept his breakfast options to a minimum.)
I have been a member of the Sweet Peas meal planning service for almost 6 months and a few months ago they sent an amazing pancake recipe. We’ve had the pancakes a few times and each time I’ve changed them a little. Do you change recipes to make them more your own for your family’s taste? The first time I try a recipe I follow it 100% to the letter of the law (this drives my husband nuts!) Then when I make the recipe again I take into consideration different things. The recipe I am going to share with you is based on the Sweet Peas Raspberry Coconut Raspberry Pancakes.
I know what you’re thinking, how can you mix granola into your pancake mix, doesn’t it get soggy, or leave the pancakes with a weird texture? And I want to say these pancakes are definitely a little denser than typical pancakes, but they are also packed with protein and taste AMAZING! Plus they are healthier for you.
I first started messing with the recipe because we were out of raspberries… Hum, I wonder how they will taste if I put blueberries in them? (M’s favorite berry) Another change I had to make, “oh shoot the original recipe calls for buttermilk, I don’t have any… Google, what is a substitute for buttermilk?” Watered down greek yogurt. I have that! So over time, the pancakes have just become a little more us and what we have in the fridge and less about following the original recipe to the letter of the law. So without further ado here is the recipe for Whole Wheat Coconut Blueberry Granola Pancakes.
Whole Wheat Coconut Blueberry Granola Pancakes
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Cups Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Flaked Coconut
- 1 Cup Granola (You can use any kind you want Coconut, Apricot, etc. You just want to make sure it is made with oats, try not to get the kind that has cereal flakes in it.)
- 1 Cup Blueberries (We used frozen blueberries. Also, if you don’t have blueberries you could try raspberries, blackberries, chopped up strawberries, etc.)
- Mix together in a large bowl all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.) Set aside.
- Mix the greek yogurt, water, and eggs together in a small bowl. Once combined add the melted coconut oil and the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Once combined, fold in the flaked coconut, blueberries, and granola. Your batter will be lumpy, but that’s ok.
- Heat the griddle or pan on medium-low heat. Spray with cooking oil and add 1/3 of a cup of batter onto the heated griddle. Once you see a few bubbles in the surface of the top of the pancake (usually 1-2 minutes) Carefully flip them over until browned on the other side (1-2 minutes). Continue to make pancakes until the batter is gone.
- We have an oven warmer so we just put the done pancakes inside the oven to keep warm.
My husband likes his pancakes with just a little butter and real maple syrup. Me on the other hand, I eat them the way my family has been eating them my WHOLE life. Put a little peanut butter on the pancakes, slap a fried egg on top, and drenched in maple syrup. It is seriously the best way to have pancakes. But don’t take my word for it, you should try it!